Monday, September 29, 2008

movie monday

This is the time of year we start watching more movies. We're a bit behind the times, as we don't get to the theater much anymore. But I figure if we see a good one over the weekend, I'd mention it here so if you have any interest, you can just hop over to your Netflix account and add it to your queue.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is based on a true story about the editor of Elle magazine, French journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. Bauby suffered from a massive stroke which left him in a very rare condition called locked-in syndrome. This movie tells the story of Bauby writing his memoir of the same name with the help of his therapist. Subtitled.

If you haven't seen this movie, check it out. I'd say two things stood out most for me. Mathieu Almaric as Bauby, and the cinematography. Outstanding. A sad movie, but so much fun to watch because you can't help but take note of the camera work since nearly 70% of the film is seen through the one functioning eye of Bauby. The final 15 minutes of this film are so pleasing to watch that you may just find yourself saying 'wow' out loud, as I did.


No comments: