Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ode to the Rolling Pin

The time of year has come to clear the kitchen counter, preheat the oven, and get to work. Flour, sugar, butter. You'll see the damage in my cheeks in no time. But heck, I love to bake!

The season began with the annual lefse fest with the Nephew's. The 3 of us each make a batch of lefse dough and gather for a day of lefse baking. I can't help but think of relatives from both my side and Nick's doing the same thing for generations. It's fun to hear what people like to stuff their lefse with - butter, jam, meatballs, mashed potatoes, or just plain. No matter how you dice it, lefse seems to mark the beginning of the holiday preparations.

Shortly afterwards, I decided to pull some more butter out and get crackin on some holiday cookie baking. I try to have an assortment for the holidays and I've truly been inspired by Nick's mom, as her assortment is so impressive each year. It makes for a festive plate of caloric craziness that can be shared with neighbors, co-workers, friends. And it's just nice to turn on the oven cause Nick likes to keep the house at a cool 62. Crazy man. Ok perhaps I'm exaggeratting a little.

The first batch I've named 'Pistachio Nutmeg Moonbeams'. My own title, someone else's recipe. I just didn't have the cookie cutter to name them 'Nutmeg Squares'. Tasty. Hidden in the freezer. Do Not Sneak! (I tell myself.)

2 comments:

Counting Coconuts said...

Delectable-looking moonbeams! You must share the recipe.

Kennedy said...

You're on fire, Pup! I like my lefse with cinnamon, sugar, and butter, for the record. You've reminded me that I had every intention of doing the whole cookie tin assortment this year. I'm not sure I can pull it off, but either way, baking is in order!